Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Yard Work and outdoor nature in our backyard

We live in the 'burbs and we need to keep the yard moved, least the neighbors complain.  My kids chores include mowing our front and back yards.  My kids hate mowing but I love mowing.  The mower is a loud, scary machine that isolates you from anyone approaching.  I suppose you can say it's "quiet."  So now, I (or my husband) mows and the kids weed.  They weed the garden, the bushes, the lawn and the cracks in the patio.  This weekend we had quite a few surprises.

I should first point out that we put a plastic owl in our backyard to scare away nature.  It seemed to attract them.  Second, even the tween and teen enjoyed the backyard critters (except the fact that the bird ate all our strawberries).  They even had me taking pictures of bugs and picking up worms to put in the garden.

Second, we did not get pictures of the many birds that visit (blue bird, chickadee, cardinals and robins) and other critters (chipmunks that hop from pot to pot looking for our potted strawberries and rabbits).

In short, do some yard work - it's an adventure.


Just missed mowing over him


Bird caught in strawberry cage - we need a new plan
Video gets a better glimpse

We woke up to ravens in our backyard - perhaps they were looking at the bird caught in the strawberries.



8 comments:

  1. Luckily our three year old already thinks that watering plants in our tiny garden is an adventure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, when life was simple - when the kids played with the boxes more than the toy that came in it. :)

      Delete
  2. When our children were going up, we lived in the middle of town, on a busy intersection. Although it was a corner lot, we have very little lawn to mow or yard to keep up. Even with such a small yard, our children absolutely hated any type of yard work. Luckily, Kevin found yard work to be a peaceful, zen like experience. He kept our looking great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, our kids hate yard work but my husband told them if they don't do it, the kids have to pay him for doing it. He actually likes it but we have kind of a big yard that he could spend all weekend every weekend, working on it. At least it seems that way.

      Delete
  3. I love the critters we see in our yard in the burb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too, that's why I don't get those pest repellers. I just don't want them to eat my garden. So I'm working on that :)

      Delete
  4. I just planted some starter tomatoes and peppers (as well as other seeds) on Monday and most are gone already. I'm assuming it was one of those rascally rabbits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I don't know if I've seen Bugs eat a tomato :D I've had good success with tomatoes in a pot. I don't know if they can't see it or what, but never had any pests. I also plant marigolds around them. It's a big pot.

      Delete